Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dusty Baker is Complaining Again

I didn’t plan on writing anything about Dusty Baker. As far as I’m concerned, the former Cubs manager is history and there’s really nothing left to say about him. But Baker is complaining again about his time in Chicago and I just can’t let it go.

In an article by Teddy Greenstein in the Chicago Tribune, Baker says:

“At this point I’m not ready to [call a game at Wrigley]. I don’t need any more abuse, you know what I mean? I was booed and jeered enough.”

Does Baker think he’s the first person to ever be booed for doing a lousy job? And does he think the booing is somehow only limited to Chicago?

I’ve grown tired of Baker’s complaining about Chicago. In the article, Baker claims he did the best he could as manager of the Cubs. Anyone that watched the games and followed Baker’s exploits know better than that. Baker gave up on the season in 2006 after Derrick Lee broke his wrist and he allowed the rest of the team to give up as well. He did nothing to pull the team together. He did nothing to motivate the team. He just gave up.

It would be a lot easier to move on and put Baker in the past if he wasn’t still showing up and playing the victim. He’s even complaining about how the Cubs went out and spent money on players after his departure. Again, it’s all about Baker and even after he’s gone, he’s still the victim.

Baker is not the first manager to get fired. But he is the first that I can remember that keeps complaining about how poorly he was treated during his tenure long after he is gone. I would respect him a lot more if he would just put the past in the past, wish the Cubs well, and move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home